Saturday, February 21, 2009

Elijah's Coin: A Lesson For Life

Title: Elijah's Coin: A Lesson For Life
Author: Steve O'Brien
HARDBACK
Amount of Pages: 125
Publisher: A&N Publishing
Publishing Year: 2009
Geared Towards: Teens and up
Extra Info: If you buy the book you get two coins modled after the coin in the book.

Summary (From B.O.B):
"One hour from now I am going to change my life forever.
I am lying on my back with my fingers intertwined behind my head. I wait.
One hour from now I am going to be in charge of my life.
I glance to my left and my digital clock clicks from 12:59 to 1:00 AM I smile."

Elijah's Coin tells the story of Tom, a young man who has suffered a tragic loss and is spiraling out of control. Angry, anti-social, and rapidly descending into a life of crime, Tom seems lost until he encounters the mysterious night watchman Elijah King. With a strange coin Elijah has given him. Tom sets off on a journey of self discovery. Through coming to know others whose lives were also transformed by meeting Elijah, Tom begins to find himself. Still, he feels desperate to locate Elijah begins to find himself. Still, he feels desperate to locate Elijah again-a quest that ultimately leads to a shocking discovery.

Part Two of the story shows how Tom lives the message he has learned, learns to trust his own instincts, learns to trust his own insticts, and becomes a mentor to other individuals on the verge of being "lost." A serious conflict between his new values and a thirst for vengence arises, however, when Tom finds himself face-to-face with the darkest figure from his own past..

Wdebo's Review: From the beginning of the story where you meet Tom and what he does, to the end where he's a totally diffrent person with his life worked out, you just get sucked into the story and want to keep reading it until the last page.

Pro: Tom is well developed at the first part he is significantly diffrent then his personality and attitude in the second part. The story is well devloped and you have a sense like you are getting closer to the characters and they could just be people you lived next to, because they are just so real!

Con: The storyline gets kind of repetitive sometimes (between the first two ppl he is with), but its not that big of a deal.

All in all, I wouldn't call this book a "Lesson for Life" but it is pretty heart warming and a good really short story to read.

Grade: A-

Wdebo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D