Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Book Thief By: Markus Zusak

Title: The Book Thief
Author: Markus Zusak
PAPERBACK
Amount of Pages: 550
Publisher: Random House
Publishing Year: 2005
Geared Towards: Teens (14+)
Extra Info: Markus Zusak is also the author of I am the Messanger (Another AMAZING read!)



Summary (Credits to "B.O.B"):
It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The Country is holding its breath.
Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.

By her brother's graveside, Liesel Meminger's life is changed when she picks up a single object, partially hidden in the snow. It is The Grave Digger's Handbook, left there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery. So begins a love affair with books and words, as Lisel, with the help of her accordion-playing foster father, learns to read. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever books are found.

But there are dangerous times. When Lisel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Lisel's world is both opened up and closed down.

Wdebo's Review: There were many unique things about this book. For one it is told from Death's point of view, and there are many "interesting" drawings that show the darkness of that period of of that certain artist's feelings. This was such a darkly humorous book, I just wish I could read it again. (But, alas, I can't, for I have to turn it into our school's library).

Pro: A very original story, which is very refreshing because I have been reading stories about the same topic over and over again. The idea of Death's point of view is also very interesting, even though in the middle you kind of forget it is from the point of view of Death, because you are focusing on Lisel's story, then suddenly Death jumps out and has this "Death's thoughts" moment and your like, "Oh yeah, this is sort of Death's story huh."

Con: I don't know why, but even though I did enjoy the beginning I found it kind of boring and just wanted to skip it and get to the middle.

All in all, this book was an amazing emotion jerker, I laughed and I admit it, I cried at the end, the imagry was just THAT good! I seriously cannot wait for a new book by him!!

Grade: A

Wdebo :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow this sounds like a great book! I have never heard of it, or anything like it. It does sound interesting thou! Good Review

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you! It is really good you should read it, I really love his writing.

    ReplyDelete

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D