Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Does My Head Look Big In This? By: Randa Abdel-Fattah

Title: Does My Head Look Big In This?
Author: Randa Abdel-Fattah
HARDBACK
Amount of Pages: 360
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
Publishing Year: September 2006
Geared Towards: Pre-teens +



"And it's when I'm standing there this morning, in my PJs and a hijab, next to my mom and my dad, kneeling before God, that I feel a strange sense of calm. I feel like nothing can hurt me, and nothing else matters. And that's when I know I'm ready."



Summary (From Front Flap):


High School is tough enough
without throwing a hijab
into the mix...

In Randa Abdel-Fattha's brilliant debut novel, Amal, an Australian-Palestinian girl living in a suburb of Melbourne, makes the biggest decision of her life, to wear the hijab, a Muslim head scarf, full-time. In spite of her parents' gentle warnings and the ostricizing that is sure to come from the other kids at her snobby prep school. Amal's decision springs from a deep sense of faith, and she is certain-well, almost certain- that she's ready to take this step.

But can she handle the taunts of "towel-head," navigate the wilds of a mad crush, and stay true to herself? Amal is sassy. intelligent, sensitive, and hillarious, and her jouney of faith will take readers down an unexpected and very entertaining path.

Wdebo's Review: This was a cute and sweet book! The book started out trying too hard, like it stuffed jokes in that just didn't let the book flow. So instead of going from point A to point B in a straight line it went zig-zagg-y, I hate it when books do that. But slowly, it started to get smoother, the jokes and writing went in the straight line and it was really enjoyable.

Amal was a great character. She was true to herself, sure she doubted herself in the middle, but who wouldn't? She pushed all that out in the end she did what she knew she had to.

The story was cute the characters were very well developed. I was so happy her parents were totally cool and not all like Jess' parents in Bend it Like Beckham - I know Jess' parents are INDIAN but bear with me ok, you get my point? hopefully... It was the only example I could think of. (Love that movie!-Since we're on that subject, am I the only one who thinks Joe is super cute?!)

The cover is also cute but the posing and giant circles reminds me of those middle school book covers.

All in all, a very sweet book!

Grade: B+

Wdebo :)


*****************

Songs listened to while writing this review:

Kai Tian Chuang By: Mayday
You Belong With Me By: Taylor Swift
Dr. Jones By: Aqua
Lollipop By: Aqua

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D