Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What I Saw and How I Lied By: Judy Blundell

Title: What I Saw and How I Lied
Author: Judy Blundell
HARDBACK
Amount of Pages: 281
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Publishing Year: 2008
Geared Towards: Teens


Summary (From front flap): Some truths are never meant to be revealed.

When Evie's father returned home from World War II, the family fell back into its normal life pretty quickly. But Joe Spooner brought more back with him than war stories. When movie-star handsome Peter Coleridge, a young ex-GI who served in Joe's company in postwar Austria, shows up, Evie is suddenly caught in a complicated web of lies that she only slowly recognizes. She finds herself falling for Peter, ignoring the secrets that surround him...until a tragedy occurs that shatters her family and breaks her life in two.


As she begins to realize that almost everything she believed to be a truth was really a lie, Evie must get to the heart of the deceptions and choose between loyalty to her parents and feelings for the man she loves. Someone will have to be betrayed. The question is...who?


Wdebo's Review: I have always enjoyed reading books set in WWII period. They are very interesting. I did enjoy this book, it was slow in the beginning but it got progressivly better through the pages. The storyline went towards mysterious but it was pretty easy to guess what would happen at the end.


I was not the biggest Evie fan, she felt too naive and she wouldn't see the signs RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER!! But at least she got stronger *sorta* towards the end, her mom was strong, but then she did THAT and eh I wanted to punch her so much!!

But I did thouroughly enjoy the writing style. Judy Blundell's writing is very strong and leads you through the story quite well. The topic she wrote about was intense and very interesting to read about...but there was a part in the middle that was slow and annoying that I had to skip like 20 pages or else I would have died.

I like the cover the pose is pretty intriguing and the blackness does show off the story well, but I am not a big fan of the model, she scares me a lot.

The ending disappointed me a bit, it didn't feel like it fit that much, first this BIG thing happens then it ends small.

All in all, this is a pretty good book! I am sure most people will enjoy it, mysterious yeah!

Grade: B+

Wdebo :)

*********************

Songs listened to while writing this post:

You Belong With Me By: Taylor Swift
Love Story By: Taylor Swift
The Show By: Lenka
Dao Xiang By: Jay Chou

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read it but many people have reviewed it. I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D