Monday, April 20, 2009

Sophomore Switch By: Abby McDonald

Title: Sophomore Switch
Author: Abby McDonald
HARDBACK
Amount of Pages: 297
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Publishing Year: 2009
Geared Towards: Teens 13+


Summary (From front flap): Reeling from aftershocks of what will heretofore be known as "The Hot-Tub Incident," American party girl Tasha jumps at the chance to spend a semestere abroad at tweedy Oxford University-banking on the fact that the tabloid stories about her won't have made their way across the Pond. But is wading Uggs-deep in feminist theory really so much better than living down the stares and snickers stateside?

Meanwhile, studious control freak Emily disappoints her snooty British family by throwing herself into film classes-at UC Santa Barbara. Her English accent gets her plenty of male attention, but not all of it welcome-especially the frusting confrontations with a fellow classmate.

Wdebo's Review: I didn't know what to expect when I first opened the book, I don't think I read that many reviews about. The cover looked pretty good it was short and sweet, I guess. When I started it seemed like anyother book I've read it was cliche, but the writting was pretty good. It just seemed new, I don't know if that makes sense just seemed not as experianced like say Meg Cabot. I'm not saying it's bad, it was actually pretty good, but it was how all debut novels are a little rocky, even the best of the best debut novels have a kind of rockiness to them.

Pro: I liked her writting it totally got to my teenage-sarcasm-ness. Her characters were interesting and at the end learned a valuable lesson about the importance about being true to theirselves.

Con: They repeat the same thing a lot like Natasha repeats "The Hot Tub Incident" and Em repeats something about good natural teenage fun. The people around them are all VERY steryotypical, the ppl in Oxford are all totally nerdy and in Cali blond and party seeking.

My Favorite Character: None, wow, I don't think I've read a book b4 that I haven't had a fav character. I had a few fav characters before but after a while all of them didn't live up to my expectations.

All in all, this was an ok book, not my fav but not the worst, I guess you can say I'm indiffrent to it. Read it if you want an easy read-lazy summer read I guess. Woohoo two more months until SUMMER VACATION!!

Grade: B-

What books have you read? What are your reccomendations for summer reads?

Wdebo :)

2 comments:

  1. Great review!

    By the way, you have an award on my blog:
    http://jo-scrawls.blogspot.com/2009/04/can-you-believe-it-another.html

    ReplyDelete

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D