Monday, December 15, 2008

Grace By: Richard Paul Evans

Title: Grace
Author: Richard Paul Evans
HARDBACK
Amount of Pages: 307
Copyright year: 2008
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Geared Towards: Teens
Extra Info: Based off the Little Match Girl


"She was my first kiss. My first love. She was the little match girl who could see the future in the flame of a candle. She was a runaway who taught me more about life than anyone has before or since. And when she was gone my innocence left with her."



Summary: In 1962, Eric is just an ordinary nerdy boy, who a bad haircut and acne. That was until he met Grace, a popular and beautiful girl that was the total opposite of Eric. Grace had runaway from home, from the abusings of her stepfather which during those times were unheard of. Eric is mystified by her, and falls in love with her, and she with him. Eric hids her in his and his brother's club house, there the story unfolds.

Wdebo's Review: The front flap's summary (a letter from Richard Paul Evans) made it, as my friend said, "Sound boring." It was kind of vague and yeah, boring. But the story was far from that. The reader is taken from this old man's life into his life as a teenager and the love of his life that stumbles in through the dumpster. It was a phenominal book and one of the few books that actually made me cry.

Pro: Amazing imagry and a wonderful narrator. Richard Paul Evans really gave this character a lot of depth. Eric is just like any other nerd that walks the hall in school, awkward in his own skin and not knowing what he should do about anything. The weight of having to care for Grace weighs down on him too. I also enjoy how in the beginning of the chapter there was a snippit of Grace's diary, she just sounds so philosiphical. lol

Con: This omment has absolutely nothing to do with the writing but I got the kind where the pages are yellow and the are all uneven so some pages were sticking out which the others weren't that was just annoying, I hate it when books are like that. Otherswise, all I have to complain about is, Eric might have been a little too awkward, but that just goes into character for him, and I guess that was what Evans was reaching for.

All in all, I believe everyone should just turn off their computer RIGHT NOW and get this book, it is amazing and makes me want to read his other book, The Christmas Box (And it's almost christmas anyways so why not?! OMG 10 more days!!!)

Grade: A

Wdebo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D