Monday, September 28, 2009

Rumer & Qix: The Race to Terra Incognita

Title: Rumer & Qix: The Race to Terra Incognita
Author: Kathleen S. Wilson
PAPERBACK
Amount of Pages: 229
Publisher: BookSurge Publishing
Publishing Year: 2009
Geared Towards: Teens
Extra Info: Click HERE for a character post with Rumer.




Summary (From B.O.B): Rumer, a petite 16 year old with a flair for fashion, loves zipping around the vast cityscape of 31st Century Nanjing for her job as an apprentice reporter for the Global Quotidien. There's one big problem, though. For some reason, the stories she's assignd are always tedious and never interesting. To make matters worse her insensitive boss wants her to report on the activities of Alfa, the same mega-conglomerate where her parents died mysteriously when she was eight.

Feeling frustrated, the rebellious Rumer escapes into the indie networks and, along with her pocket-sized sidekick Qix, soon finds herself puzzling over a series of images of bizarre nature sightings posted by seemingly credible eye-witness. Ever since the world's flura and fauna were replaced with Alfa's Syncov replicas eons earlier, nature sightings like this have been routinely dismissed, but Rumer senses that something is different this time.

When ethereal voices relay a coded message for confirming her feelign that something is terribly amiss, Rumer slips away with Qix on a globe-trotting quest for answers. Two colossal forces are about to square off for the final epic battle that will determine the fate of the planet who will triumph, Dr. BigCo, the ruthless CEO of Alfa bent on expanding his empire at all costs, or his nemisis, MoNa, the vulnerable marriarch of the somos. The fate of the world hangs in the balance and Rumer holds the key in a race against time.

Wdebo's Review: [Note: OK, so it's been a LONG time since my last review so I feel a little rusty ;) Just an FYI :) Enjoy!] I knew this book was in decision to become a Traveling to Teens book-but I don't think it ever did, and that's a pity becuase I really enjoyed this book, it was a surprisingly good read.

Rumer & Qix gives a nice twist to the totally overdone futuristic books, and is not so unbelieveable as those other books. I can see our world becoming a synthetic mess, that is beleiveable, aliens coming to the earth and getting killed by boomboxes....not so believeable. [I know Mars Attack! wasn't technically a "futuristic" story-but I'm on a time limit now and it was the best I could do!]

Though the beginning was a little boring and hard to get into, after a while the story came together nicely and it was a fun read. Except a thing that annoyed me was that there was a lot of missing quotation marks.

I did enjoy the character of Rumer. She was a strong female heronie and fought to find the truth, always. [A very important journalism skill-I might add.] But I seriously loved Qix. Qix was just like a relistic poochi with fur and an adorable tail and everythinig else, AND he can also talk and think for himself! And Qix is just so kawaii!

Cafe Cover Chat: I honestly don't like this cover. Though the drawing is well drawn the whiteness distracts from it, and doesn't work for me. The cover feels so plain, while the story was very well written, I just feel like it takes away from it. (B-)

All in all, a great story for futuristic sci-fi lovers and haters alike. Rumer & Qix was a very nice read.

Grade: B+

Wdebo :)

Thanks to Author Marketing Experts, Inc for sending me a review copy~

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I don't like sci-fi, so i think i'm going to skip this. I agree with you about the cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds awesome (I love sci-fi) and I love the anime-ish cover! This is definitely a book I'd like to read!

    paradoxrevealed (at) aim (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree- the cover is crap. This book looks awesome, though. Definitely one I should read.
    Oh, and the boy that is presently to the right of where I am posting is oh so very hot!
    Who is he?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nina-Thanks!! I know I'm not a big Sci-Fi fan, but I still loved this book.

    Paradox-Hehe hope you enjoy it!

    brizmus-Haha, yes it is awesome. Hehe and I already commented on your Perfect Chemistry Book trailer post about the hot guy :) Show Luo.

    ReplyDelete

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D