Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Jellicoe Road By: Melina Marchetta

Title: Jellicoe Road
Author: Melina Marchetta
HARDBACK
Amount of Pages: 419
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: August 26, 2008
Geared Towards: Older Teens
From: Public Library

“He didn’t come looking for me, Taylor. He came looking for you.”



Summary (From Front Flap): Abandoned by her mother on Jellicoe Road when she was eleven, Taylor Markham, now seventeen, is finally being confronted with her past. But as the reluctant leader of her boarding school dorm, there isn’t a lot of time for introspection. And while Hannah, the closest adult Taylor has to family, has disappeared, Jonah Griggs is back in town, moody stares and all.

In this absorbing story by Melina Marchetta, nothing is as it seems and every clue leads to more questions as Taylor tries to work out the connection between her mother dumping her, Hannah finding her then and her sudden departure now, a mysterious stranger who once whispered something in her ear, a boy in her dreams, five kids who lived on Jellicoe Road eighteen years ago, and the maddening and magnetic Jonah Griggs, who knows her better than she thinks he does. If Taylor can put together the pieces of her past, she might just be able to change her future.

Wdebo’s Review: I have heard a lot of good things about Jellicoe Road, so I decided to check it out, but even after I got it, I was still skeptical, especially after reading the first few pages. Even though the first page had a good hook, but I had absolutely no idea what was going on, it was very confusing, and I almost returned it to the library because after a couple of pages there was a whole new story going on, and I was just so lost. But I am so glad I didn’t because Jellicoe Road turned out to be one of the best books I have read this year!

The whole novel builds upon itself, it slowly gives you more and more details into the lives of Taylor and the five friends; Tate, Webb, Fitz, Jude and Narnie. After a few pages after the initial confusion, I was hooked into the book and just could not put it down (Read it in a day!-It was THAT good). The more you read, the more you want to read, it makes you hungry to know what is the secret behind Taylor’s life and the five friends, how their story ties into Taylor’s story, and the significance of the territory wars and Jellicoe Road.
The end I thought something bigger then was revealed would be, well, revealed, but even though it didn't satisfy my overactive imagination, it was still a pretty nice ending.

I absolutely loved all of the characters; Taylor is such an awesome-ly strong character. It has been a long time since I have read about a girl who can support herself (!!). Not only can she think for herself, but she can also fight her own battles. But she is too rough around the edges, so that is where Raffaela comes in, her spiritual friend, who keeps Taylor in line but also has some tricks up her sleeves herself. Finally, there is Jonah Griggs, who is just amazingly amazing. There is just something about that tough guy/quiet/sensitive part in him that just is so…Hot. He and Taylor are so cute together also :) !

Cafe Cover Chat: I like the cover very beautiful, and the poppy (I believe that is) is such a gorgeous color. (B+)

Favorite Quotes: "Matthew, chapter ten, verse twenty-six. Whatever is now covered up will be made known." (Page 118)

"No solace, no belonging. Just an empty need to keep moving away from whatever or whoever it is after me." (Page 126)

"Narnie stared deep inside him and he remembered what brought him to this place now. That girl, standing on the side of the Jellicoe Road like an apparition, promising him a richer life than he ever dreamed of. And he couldn't help himself, couldn't hold it back until they were in her room, tugging at each other's clothing, breathing each other's breath, tasting each other's grief." (Page 328)

"I shrug. 'I'll probably mention that I'm in love with you.'
He chuckles. 'Only you would say that in such a I-think-I'll-wash-my-hair-tonight tone.'" (Page 407)

All in all, a definite MUST-READ-BOOK, that everyone should run to the library NOW and check out and read. A wonderfully written mystery book that has just the right touch of romance to satisfy even someone like me!

Grade: A+

Wdebo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D