Friday, June 11, 2010

Candor By: Pam Bachorz

Title: Candor
Author: Pam Bachorz
HARDBACK
Amount of Pages: 249
Publisher: Egmont USA
Release Date: September 22, 2009
Geared Towards: Teens
From: Library


"My mouth splits into a huge grin. I can taste the tang of the paint.
But the Messages scream in my brain. Badbadbad.
I stuff them back. Swing the can wide.
It feels good."


Summary (From Front Flap):
Everything is perfect in the
town of Candor, Florida.

Teens respect their elders, do their chores, and enjoy homework...because they're controlled by subliminal messages.

Oscar Banks, the son of the town's founder, is the model of perfection: class president, top student, shining example. But it's only a disguise. Unlike all the other Candor teens, he knows about the Messages, and he fights them with his own counterprogramming.

Only Oscar knows how to get kids out of Candor-for a price. Nobody suspects that he smuggles the richest kids out of town before they change. It's risky: if Oscar were caught, he'd be sent straight to the Listening Room, where the most resistant minds are wiped clean.

When Nia moves into town, Oscar is smitten by her tart attitude and ability to see through his perfect-boy front. He can't stand to see her changed by the Messages. Now he must decide to help Nia escape Candor and lose her forever, or keep her close and risk exposure.

The book trailer...





Wdebo's Review: I have always liked books about the whole perfect society, but everything isn't what it seems. So I was very excited to read Candor. The writing was simple and pretty good. I really enjoyed it.

I really like Bachorz' writing style, it's simple but can be quite addicting at times, except, at some times, it does get a little slow, but it's not that bad. I was quite surprised though, how fast Nia and Oscar fell for each other. One moment, they are glaring oddly at each other and the next they would do anything for each other. I was hoping that there would be a little more writing on the society and a little less of Oscar and Nia's relationship. I felt the ending to have ended well, very 1984, but I was still sad... :(

The character of Oscar, we just had a love-hate relationship going on. He was so cocky, but I still liked him, a bit, I guess. He also had a lot of pent up sexual desire which is pretty ugh, kinda on the creepy side. I like the character of Nia she is one of those "no-crap" kinda girls.

Cafe Cover Chat: I find the cover to be a bit boring, but it's averege (B)

All in all, a pretty good book that if you enjoy the "perfect society" kind of books, I am sure you will enjoy!

Grade: B+

Wdebo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D