Monday, November 22, 2010

Heart With Joy By: Steve Cushman

Title: Heart With Joy
Author: Steve Cushman
PAPERBACK
Amount of Pages: 182
Release Date: September 1, 2010
Publisher: Canterbury House Publishing
Geared Towards: Teens
Extra Info: Check out the book's official site HERE.

"'Everyone should have something they are passionate about, something that fills their heart with joy. Those who don't, I'd say, are missing something'" (Page 45-6).


Summary (From B.O.B): In Heart With Joy, fifteen year old Julian Hale's life is turned upside down when his mother suddenly moves from North Carolina to Florida under the pretense of running her parents' motel and finishing the novel she has been writing for years. While Julian has always been closer to his mother and wants to go with her, she tells him he has to stay with his father until the end of the school year.

When Julian's father decides to run a marathon, Julian agrees to help him train, and the two develop the sort of close relationship they've never had before. Also, with the help of an elderly neighbor who loves to spend her days bird-watching, Julian learns that the most important thing in life is to follow your heart. And Julian's heart leads him to a passion for cooking and a young cashier at the local grocery store even as his own parents drift apart. By the end of the novel, Julian is forced to choose between staying with his father and going to live with his mother.

Wdebo's Review: At first, I wasn't sure whether I should read Heart With Joy but after seeing all of the good reviews for the book, I decided to give it a try and I am so glad I did. Heart With Joy really did feel my heart with joy, it was heart-warming and sweet, just such a wonderful read.

I just loved how the writing really made me happy. It was very simply written but very well done. The only complaint I have on the writing is the over use of the word "damn" as a substitution for cussing/swearing.

Julian is a character that seems very innocent but not in an annoying sense, it felt comforting to be able to grow and mature with him. He was a very likeable character. I also really liked the character of Tia she is such a good match for Julian. Actually, now that I think about it, I really like all of the chracters, they all have their own personalities that makes them loveable, well except for Simon and Julian's mom, I really felt that Julian's mother was very selfis hand just eww I would not like my mother to be like her.

Cafe Cover Chat: Well, my best friend, who is in love with birds, loves this cover, but I think it is ok, it is pretty but I've never been a big fan of drawn covers, but I do have to admit this one is a better one then other drawn covers. (B+)

All in all, an amazing coming-of-age novels that is able to be enjoyed by not only teens but also adults. A most definite must read! Sure to raise your spirits.

Grade: A

Wdebo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D