Monday, July 18, 2011

Five Flavors of Dumb By: Antony John

Title: Five Flavors of Dumb
Author: Antony John
HARDBACK
Amount of Pages: 352
Release Date: November 11, 2010
Release Date: Dial
Geared Towards: Teen/Music Lovers
From: Library


"'Here's the deal: You've got one month to get us a paying gig. We'll split the money with you-four ways. Do that and you can be our manager, even when we get big'" (23).

Summary (From Front Flap): Eighteen-year-old Piper has gotten herself into a mess. Because of her big mouth, she has one month to get a paying gig for her high school's hottest new rock band, called Dumb. In Piper's mind, the band couldn't have a more perfect name. Just look at the members: one egomaniacal pretty boy, one silent rocker, one talentless piece of eye candy, one angry girl, and one nerd-boy drummer-five discordant personalities who, when put together, seem ready to self-destruct at any moment. Getting them an actual gig seems impossible. Add to that the fact that Piper doesn't know if their music is good or not, because, well, she's deaf.

But Piper is determined to get the band a gig to show her classmates that being deaf doesn't mean she's invisble. And as she gets to know the five flavors of Dumb, some hidden talents, secret crushes, and crazy rock music emerge. She doesn't need to hear the music to sell it, but Piper wants the chance to feel the music too. Does she have what it takes to manage Dumb and discover her own inner rock star?

Wdebo's Review: When one listens to music, sometimes the song is very easy to get into, from the first minute one can get hooked just like that *snaps fingers to show the quickness* or it can take a few listens to actual appreciate and enjoy the song, but, thankfully The FIVE FLAVORS OF DUMB was like the first example. This novel has a fun, addicting, fresh look on music and what music means to us not just hearing wise. It was wonderful from beginning to end.

The FIVE FLAVORS OF DUMB is anything but dumb. The writing was professional yet fun and addicting even from the very beginning. The storyline was great, interesting, novel, I haven't read many stories with a deaf protagonist before so I was very intersted to read. The story had me feeling all kinds of feelings, I laughed, I cried, I shook my head at decisions that the characters made, but it was definitely good feelings all around.

Though I do enjoy music and respect the musicians that create them I cannot cry the way that the characters cried and felt the pains for the "classic" musicians like the characters did in the story. I feel bad for all they had to go through but I cannot not sleep and become depressed for them. Therefore, there was those parts of the book that I was emotionless, I knew the author wanted us to understand and feel those feelings, but I couldn't and just felt left out, so I was bored during those parts.

I loved the character of Piper, she was strong, sassy and sarcastic, she knew where she wanted to go and aimed for that destination. Though at times she was frustrating, but most of the time I enjoyed reading from her point of view and sympathized with her. All the characters had something about them that made them likeable and I enjoyed reading about all of them and see their growth.

Cafe Cover Chat: I like the cover, but it is kind of average, nothing special. (B-)

All in all, a great novel for music lovers all over.

Grade: A-

Wdebo :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the lovely review. So glad you liked Piper. (Yes, she can be a little too, uh . . . headstrong, at times; but then, a lot of my favorite people are headstrong too!).

    ReplyDelete

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D