Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The ABC's of Kissing Boys By: Tina Ferraro

Title: The ABC's of Kissing Boys
Author: Tina Ferraro
PAPERBACK
Amount of Pages:
215
Release Date: January 13, 2009
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Geared Towards: Teens
From: Random Buzzers


"My breath caught in my throat as it really sank in for the first time. Was this the end? Like a ref giving me a red card that took me out of the game...forever?" (P. 58).

Summary (From B.O.B): Parker Stanhope has played soccer practically since she could walk. And now that she's a high school junior, everything she's worked for is finally coming together. She's paid her dues on the field, and as an upperclassman she's a shoo-in for the varsity team. Anyway, the coach moves everyone from JV up to varsity. It's just what happens.

But that's not what happens.

This year Coach Hartley moved up every JV player but two-and one of those two was Parker.

Parker has spent her life being a team player, but as soon as school stars, she's stuck with (horror of horrors) the freshmen, and her love of the game is seriously beginning to fail. Worse? Her friends her own age are cutting her loose, and now the freshman kid across the street is the only person who'll give her the time of day.

But Parker's determined to get her life back. She has to get on the varsity team, and she has the perfect plan. The only catch? She has to trick her way into a place in the kissing booth at the school's annual sports fair, then pull a stunt crazier than any she could ever dream up on her own. But the kiss has to look real. And Parker is less than experienced in playing that sort of field.

Parker knows that practice makes perfect. Now she just has to find the right coach...

Wdebo's Review: There is just one word to describe this book: Cute. Wait, I have another one to add, fun. Therefore making it, cutely fun. This was a super cliche yet happy-making book that I definitely enjoyed.

I liked the story and the obvious ending. Except what totally eluded me was why Parker would want to re-be friends with those girls in the first place, because they were just totally horrible from the beginning even when they were "friends." Ferraro's writing is also very good, it has a nice and relaxing tone that just made me happy and want to finish the book in one sitting, which I did. I also enjoyed the "kissing vocabulary" in the beginning of each chapter, they were just so adorable and fit with what the chapter was talking about.

I wasn't a giant fan of Parker but at least I liked her better than her varsity "friends". I did however enjoy her "new" friends, especially Tristan, the Freshman boy that "teaches" her how to kiss. And truthfully, I don't see why it was such a big deal that she was "dating" a freshman, one of my friends during Junior year dated a Freshman and it wasn't that big of a deal, or maybe that's just me. The only problem I had with her friends was that at times there just seemed to be too many people coming in and it was hard to keep track of them all and I do not like to be confused, especially when I'm reading a "summer read".

Cafe Cover Chat: It's a super cute (Gah, I need a new word) cover, I really like the lipstick and its color. (B+)

All in all, an adorable and fun novel that is sure to make the reader feel warm and fuzzy inside, a perfect summer read for YA lovers.

Grade: B+

Wdebo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D