Friday, June 10, 2011

Stay By: Deb Caletti

Title: Stay
Author: Deb Caletti
HARDBACK
Amount of Pages: 320
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: April 5, 2011
Geared Towards: Teens
From: Publisher (ARC)

"But if fate is a shape-shifter, then love is too. It can be, anyway, in its most dangerous form. It's your best day, and then your worst. It's your most hope and then your most despair. Lightness, darkness, it can swing between extremes at lightning speed-a boat upon the water on the most gorgeous day, and then the clouds crawl in and the sky turns black and the sea rages and the boat is lost."

Summary (From B.O.B): Clara's relationship with Christian is intense from the start, and like nothing she's ever experienced before. But what starts as devotion quickly becomes obsession, and it's almost too late before Clara realizes how far gone Christian is-and what he's willing to do to make her stay.

Now Clara has left the city-and Christian-behind. No one back home has any idea where she is, but she still struggles to shake off her fear. She knows Christian won't let her go that easily, and that no matter how far she runs, it may not be far enough...

Wdebo's Review: [Note: I read this book a couple of months ago so like my last review, this review may not be an accurate portrayal of exactly how I felt after reading the story. And I totally apologize in advance for my babblings, but I do have an excuse! I am writing this after my Summer bed time and am very very sleepy atm.] When I first started the book, I was skeptical as to whether or not I would enjoy it or not. Obsession in relationships is a very deep topic to write about especially in the case of YA novels, and to tell you the truth, depth in YA novels make me feel eeh, it's admirable but truthfully I would rather read a fun, cliche lol story about a clumsy/nerdy girl who falls for and in turn is being fallen for by (does that make sense?) some sexy basketball player. But enough of my randomness (Sorry, Summer makes me go on tangents.)

When it began I really was sure I was only going to like it somewhat, there was no doubt in my mind if Deb Caletti could write or not because, holy crap, her writing is wonderful, heart string tuggingly beautiful, but it was that quality that made me iffy towards my actual enjoyment of the novel (as can be seen from my giant blob of randomness above). I admit that in the first few chapters I loved yet disliked it at the same time, to me, it felt like the times when I read mind-probing, deep thinking inducing stories on fan fiction, it is amazing and lovely but there is something that feels off. Caletti's topic felt like something that could be discussed better in an older book, yet it had a teen aspect to it so it does make sense that it would be a part of YA, YET it still felt off, like it should have belonged in its own section between YA and adult.

However, as I continued to read, I fell deeper and deeper into the story, I craved it more and more until I reached that point in my book reading journey where I just could not put it down, like serious hard-core, sitting-on-the-edge-of-my-seat unable to tear my eyes away from the page kind of feeling. I remember reading the last part of the novel and feel like my heart was going to leap out of my chest because it was so wonderfully written, the emotions, the actions were all woven tightly together so it felt as if I was just running alongside Clara, feeding off her feelings.

I was not a big fan of Clara, not sure why, we just never really clicked. I didn't become BFFs with any of the other characters either, which was saddness-making.

Cafe Cover Chat: I love this cover, so pretty, except I'm not the biggest fan of the model's shirt. (A)

All in all, though me and Stay had a bumpy ride in the beginning it was quickly smoothed out and became a wonderfully addicting and beautiful story that I enjoyed. I can't wait to read more by Deb Caletti!

Grade: A-

Wdebo :)
~~~

Currently Listening To: Bewitched By: BOTDF
Currently Reading: The Daughters Break The Rules By: Joanna Philbin
Currently Thinking: Summer, how I love thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D