Friday, January 22, 2010

Thirteen Reasons Why By: Jay Asher

Title: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
HARDBACK
Amount of Pages: 288
Publisher: Razorbill (Penguin)
Release Date: October 18, 2007
Geared Towards: Teens
Extra Info: Click HERE for the official site.

“I hope you’re ready, because I’m about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you’re listening to these tapes, you’re one of the reasons why.”



Summary (From Front Flap):
CLAY JENSEN’S FIRST LOVE
records her last words.

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker-his classmate and crush-who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

Hannah’s voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he’ll find out why.

Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a first-hand witness to Hannah’s pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Wdebo’s Review: You don’t need thirteen reasons why you should read Thirteen Reasons Why you just need one, because it is just a wonderful book, a wonderful and heartbreaking journey. This story has a very novel idea, the thought that the one person you love dies and then sends you tapes that explain why she died, and how you are one of the reasons. Very P.S. I Love You with an angry-ness minus the finding new love factor.

At first, I wasn’t sure if I would like it, but then I saw a few very positive reviews so I decided to give it a try and I am so happy I did. The writing narrative is great, it centers around Hannah’s tapes but it has Clay’s story sliced in, two completely different voices, for one great story.

I felt horrible for Hannah, she is going though all of this, she’s showing signs of being suicidal but no one notices, that makes me wonder what I would do if my friend was acting suicidal, would I confront them, or would I just sit in the sidelines and see how it plays out. As I was reading the novel, I just couldn’t believe how tiny events, things that don’t look all that significant when looked by themselves, things that happen that you can laugh about a few years later, can build up and lead to someone wanted to kill themselves.

Cafe Cover Chat: I really like the cover, it shows the sadness that Hannah is feeling and her loneliness, and her outfit is pretty cute too! (B+)
All in all, an amazing story that shows us how dangerous depression is, how one seemingly bubbly person can spiral down into the darkness of depression and be led down the dark tunnel of suicide.

Grade: A

Wdebo :)

5 comments:

  1. Great review. I still have to check this one out. >w<

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too, it was so heartbreaking and intense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so haunting and sad and definitely made me reconsider how I act towards old friends. I loved this book so much. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been having this feeling that I would love this novel for a long time, but I STILL haven't read it. :X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diana-You should!!

    BrittLit-Well said.

    Sarah-I know, that's exactly what it made me think too!

    towerofbooks-You need to! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D