Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Posh and Prejudice: A Diary of a Chav novel

Title: Posh and Prejudice: A Diary of a Chav Novel
Author: Grace Dent
Publisher: Little Brown and Company
Publishing Date: June 1, 2009
Geared towards: Teens
Extra info: I haven't read Diary of a Chav before, so please pardon me for any dumbness you might find in this review!




Summary (From B.O.B): The divine Shiraz Bailey Wood is back in this hilarious sequal to Diary of a Chav to enlighten us with her signature brand of madcap humor on her signature brand of madcap humor on her demented, glorious life in the gritty suburbs of London.

Chav (n): A word that makes most Brits think of hoodies, hip-hop, bling, and trouble. (It ain't agood fing, bruv)

At the end of the school year, sixteen-year-old Shiraz Bailey Wood isn't expecting increadible grades. But when her test results come in, she's astonished to discover not only that she passed them all, but that she's also actually clever! Emboldened by an invite to higher-level classes, Shiraz decides she can't waste her brainpower frying eggs for minimum wage at the greasy spoon Mr. Yolk. So even in spite of her mum's objections that it ain't her place, Shiraz enrolls in Superchav Academy's "Center of Excellence" to get even brainier.

Setting forth into the heady field of academia and hanging out with other boffin types seem like just the ticket to avoid getting stuck living like a chav forever in crappy Goodmayes, Essex. Smooth-talking lads with whopping allowances tempt her, but Shiraz has to figure out: Are these posh types really any better? Or maybe being a chav might not be all that bad-as long as it stands for charming, hillarious, articulate, and vibrant.

Wdebo's Review: I remember seeing Diary of a Chav on the Hatchette website and dying from wanting to read it so much. Then because I was so busy I forgot completly about the book and when I recieved this book, I couldn't wait to check out Diary of a Chav so I just dove in it.

The plotline was not hard to follow at all! Thank you god for sequals where they discribe what happens in the last book in the first part of the second book! At first the writing was hard to get into, a bunch of slang-British slang-made it so that I had to flip back and forth between the glossory (I love you glossories! <3) then I started to get the words without having to look them up and then it went much better after.

The writing was funny and light hearted. Cute and yet annoying at the same time. Shiraz is a very very biased person and reading from her point annoyed me some, but it was just a minor thing.

The guys she falls for...yeah all of them are so ugh. Weasley might be a sweetie, but he is a wimpy sweetie who decks out his cars (something I think is a total waste of money). He can just allow people to walk all over him *Spoiler Warning* like when Shiraz totally gets ditched by Joshua he comes crawling back totally forgiving her and pretending none of that happened. I guess most girls find that sweet but I just find it needy-can't you at least show SOME anger or other emotion? *End of spoiler warning* Also-now that I am on that subject, Joshua is ugh, I didn't even like him, even when he was nice to Shiraz he was still so Snape (From HP) oily.
I really don't like the cover. I hate attacking people for how they look on the outside, but her bangs annoy me and her eyes are scary. Ok, that was a stretch but that's all I can say before I go on a giant rant.

My fav character? Uma-defidently! Even though she is a "Chav" she is totally down to earth and real and not trying to become some booky person trying to win the love from the rich ppl.

All in all, this was a really good book! (I was quite surprised) I enjoyed it, it was a light read and great for me I guess. Shiraz is quite a great character. A very fun book (sorry if there seems to be a lot of negativity in my review it was honestly very good!)

Grade: B

Wdebo :)

8 days of school and counting...

*****************************************

Songs listened to while writing this review:

Yi Zhi Du Xiu (One Man Show) By: Show Luo
Lian Ai ING By: Mayday
Zhuo Huo Ru Mo By: Ah Shin (Mayday) ft. Ding Dang
Dao Xiang (The Fragrence of Rice)-eng subbed By: Jay Chou
愛情限時批 (Yu Le Bai Fen Bai) By: Fan Fan Ft. Xiao Gui

2 comments:

  1. You have quite strong opinions about those characters, which makes your review rather enjoyable. No kidding. I like it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you lol

    I really like your reviews too! Your english is so good!

    Wdebo :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D