Friday, September 17, 2010

The Graveyard Book By: Neil Gaiman

Title: The Graveyard Book
Author: Neil Gaiman
HARDBACK
Amount of Pages: 320
Release Date: September 30, 2008
Publisher: HarperCollins
Geared Towards: Mystery/fantasy readers
From: Library

"There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife."


Summary: It was just an ordinary night, it was just an ordinary night until a family was murdered by a man named Jack. The man Jack was getting ready to go to the baby's room to finish the job, until he discovered the baby had disappered!

At the same time, the baby was wandering around the cemertary. The ghosts had no idea what to do, unti lthe baby's dead parents pleaded with them to take the child in and protect him. Which the ghosts did. And so the baby was adopte by Mr. and Mrs. Owens, and given the name Nobdoy, or Bod for short. Nobody. Nobody Owens.

The book follows Bod's childhood in the graveyard, the adventures inside it, and the dangers outside of it, as the man named Jack hides in the shadows waiting to finish the job he started so many years ago.

Wdebo's Review: I remember reading Coraline (another book by Neil Gaiman) in fifth grade. From the moment I opened it, I was in love and frieghtened and disgusted at the same time. So when I saw The Graveyard Book on a shelf in my library, I knew I HAD to read it. I did and LOVED it!

The book had me hooked from the very beginning. It was very masterfully written, the adventure aspect of the story drags the reader in, and the wonderfully novel idea of growing up in a graveyard, the supernatural storyline and Body's journey, that is his life, keeps the reader hooked until the satisfying yet cliffhanger-ish ending.

I absolutely loved how the novel was written. All of the small adventures of Body's life in the graveyard come together as a whole and for the story. It was quite majical.

I really liked the character of Bod, he is such an entertaining character and I wish that I could keep reading his stories.

Cafe Cover Chat: Not the biggest fan of the cover, but I guess it is kind of symbolic though. (B-)

All in all, a wonderfully written, imaginative story by the talented storyteller, Neil Gaiman.

Grade: A

Wdebo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D