Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Japan Ai: A Tall Girl's Adventures in Japan

Title: Japan Ai: A tall girl's adventures in Japan
Author: Aimee Major Steinberger
PAPERBACK
Amount of Pages: 171
Publisher: Go! Comi
Release Date: September 1, 2007
Geared Towards: Teens + Japan lovers
From: Public Library

"We bought our plane tickets the next day."


Summary (Fom B.O.B): In Japanese, "Ai" means "Love"-and if you love Japan, get ready to dive head-first into the incredible world of Japanese pop-culture!

Join Aimee Major Steinberger (a professional animator with a passion for all things cute) on the ultimate otaku vacation! Visit fantasy restuarants, maid cafes, and the world's most exclusive doll store! Cosplay on the infamous Harjuku Street! Attend an outrageous all-female Takarazuka musical! See beautiful shrines, hot springs, stores full of manga, and so much more! Aimee captures it all in a manga journal that is both adorable and breathtaking!

Wdebo's Review: Though I am not a GIANT Japan lover like some of my friends I know, but I went to Japan for the first time last year so I thought this would be a good book to read...and I'm a sucker for a cutesy graphic novel :)

The drawings were all adorable, I love how Aimee is able to capture the humerous and beautiful and culture-filled parts of Japan in her drawings. She can switch easily between manga-esque drawings and actually full on sketches...totally admirable. It was cool to see a lot of things that I saw on my trip to Japan and also to learn a lot about Japanese culture. Japanese culture is very interesting since sometimes it is just so outrageous and out-there, it was great to see it all through the eyes of a fellow foreigner, her comments were quite funny. And her adventures and the fun she had made me want to go back to Japan.

Cover Chit Chat: It's so cute and...pink (!) always a plus :) (B+)

All in all, for those that are in LOVE with Japan or those who are just interested in Japanese culture, this is a very good book for you!

Grade: B+

Wdebo :)

1 comment:

  1. Awww, I remember this book. It was so super cute, Aimee made me LOL so many times. :D Wonderful review~

    ReplyDelete

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D