Friday, November 12, 2010

Ghostgirl By: Tonya Hurley

Title: Ghostgirl
Author: Tonya Hurley
HARDBACK
Amount of Pages: 328
Release Date: August 1, 2008
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Geared Towards: Teens
Extra Info: The first book of the Ghostgirl series.
From: Author (Review Copy)

"She grabbed her wrist and pressed for her pulse. Nothing. She brought both palms to her chest to feel for her heart, which should have been pounding by now. But there was no beat" (P. 34).

Summary: Charlotte Usher has always possessed a strong desire to be popular; however, she is more invisible then the school's unused lockers, and now it's even worse, because she's invisible in a more horrible way, as in she's dead. And gummy bears and super-popular hottie, Damen are to blame.

Charlotte cannot believe that she's dead and she's in total denial. All she wants is to go to the Fall Dance with Damen and maybe, just maybe get a kiss from him. She has to go through a group of dead kids that apparently need her for them to pass onto the afterlife, Damen's "All-American" girlfriend, Petula, and convince Petula's goth younger sister, Scarlet, to let her possess her. Then she might just be able to get everything she wanted during her lifetime, in death.

Wdebo's Review: I saw a lot of bad reviews for Ghostgirl before I first started it, so I was very nervous of beginning it. When I first began it the writing was ok, it wasn't the best but it wasn't the worse but I also thought it was pretty good. Then the character of Charlotte became more and more annoying. There are a lot of characters that shallowly desire to become popular but reading about Charlotte annoyed me more then any other character in Charlotte's position. After a bit, the writing got more addicting and I slowly started to liked Charlotte.

At the end of the book, I felt that writing was pretty good and Charlotte became pretty likeable, but I felt Charlotte's transformation came too fast, I would have thought that it would her longer to mature because she has always wanted to be popular. However, after a while, I found the writing to be very addicting after a while now I am really excited to read the second book.

I really like the character of Scarlet, except she was pretty cliche goth but she was pretty awesome and though the romance aspect of the book was very unoriginal but it was still cute.

Cafe Cover Chat: I have to confess that the biggest reason I wanted to read this book was because of the cover and the pages and just the overall look of the book. It is so beautiful book (physically) and just so pretty. (A)

All in all, though not the best in the beginning it does pick up after the middle and gets better and even gets pretty addicting and makes the reader want to pick up the next one.

Grade: B-

Wdebo :)

*****

Books in the Ghostgirl series:

Ghostgirl [This one!]
Ghostgirl: Homecoming [Review coming!]
Ghostgirl: Lovesick [Review coming!]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D