Monday, June 13, 2016

Book Review: One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies By: Sonya Sones

"Aunt Duffy put her arm around me, 
then pointed to this enormous face up on the movie screen
and said, 'There he is, Ruby.
That's your daddy.'"
(9)

Title: One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies
Author: Sonya Sones
HARDBACK
Amount of Pages: 268
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Release Date: April 27, 2004
Geared Towards: Teens+
From: Library




Summary: Ruby was a normal teenager surrounded by all the people she loves. Her mom, aunt, best friend Lizzie and gorgeous boyfriend Ray are constants in her life that she would never want to give up. However, when Ruby's mother passes away, she is ripped away from all she has known and dropped into LA to live with her scumbag father. The man who has never been there or even visited her in the past 15 years of her life and who also happens to be the world-renowned actor-Whip Logan. Her father is beloved by everyone, just not her. 

Wdebo's Review: I remember seeing advertisements for this book when I was in elementary school and so when I saw this book sitting on my library shelf, I knew I had to check it out and finally get around to reading it. I was surprised to see that the book was written in verse but I thought it worked well for the story, it truly helped to move the plot along as well as bring in a good rhythm for the writing.

Though I did enjoy the novel, I found the story to be a little bit on the cliche side. Everything that happened in the story was pretty easily guessed and it was obvious what type of ending the novel would have. Additionally the main character, Ruby, was the epitome of dramatic teen angst. Her emotions and actions are understandable but the fact that the storyline just followed the predictable route just made the emotions that the writing was trying to evoke slightly flat which I found to be disappointing because I wanted to feel more emotion than I was given.

However, even with that, I was still able to read this book in one sitting. And though it was predictable I still found it to be a fairly entertaining and well paced novel.

Cafe Cover Chit Chat: The cover is ok. It shows the main character in her new home but nothing truly jumps out. (C) 

All in all, though a fairly predictable novel it was still a fast and enjoyable read.

Grade: B-

Wdebo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment! I want to hear what you have to say =D